Sunday, January 31, 2010

Passion


"Oily marks appear on walls
Where pleasure moments hung before."
-Imogen Heap, 'Hide and Seek'


Passion. It's been my favourite word in the English language for as long as I can remember. It's the driving force behind the grandest accomplishments, greatest works of art and the most beautiful expressions of the heart imaginable. It can raise buildings, bring bodies together and turn dreams into reality.

I wrote this last year. At the time I wasn't featuring my own writing on my blog so I didn't post it but I remembered it recently, so here it is...

Passion


"Passion can be your greatest ally or your worst enemy.
It'll lift you up then turn around and tear you down within seconds.
Passion can fill your heart until it swells, or break it until you question whether it will ever recover.
It can push you to do things to appear a hero in someone's heart, or make them endlessly doubt your motives.
It'll make you feel higher than any drug, yet bring you to a place where you question everything you thought you knew about yourself.
Passion is the Soul's child, forever needing, forever hungry.
It is a living, breathing, seductive beast that will embrace you but consume you if you let it.
It'll breathe life into you, then mercilessly draw your last gasp without warning.
Passion is as vital as air, and I can't breathe without it."
 
 
Intellectual property copyright Barry O'Shea.  All rights reserved.
Do not reproduce without permission.

10 comments:

  1. Have I mentioned that I need to have passions in my life? I am simply addicted to this word or more to the meaning of this word! I feel empty without having passions in my life, at least one.

    It's really great written but I won't agree that passion can be your enemy. I agree that sometimes it might drive you crazy but then you realize that this this is a drive to become more and discover more. And I am not talking only about passion between man and woman.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my favorite subject too Barry! You know how I feel about passion. Passion is magical. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are brilliant. Passion leaps from this page; I can see it in your words.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agata, perhaps it's more accurate to say that in the face of passion we can be our own worst enemy.

    Leah, I only had to speak with you once to learn this about you. :)

    Jen, thanks. You're always so encouraging!

    ReplyDelete
  5. One cannot have colors in one's life without passion. Barry ... you are like a musician with your words!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW Barry!
    "It can push you to do things to appear a hero in someone's heart, or make them endlessly doubt your motives." SO true.
    I love it.
    I thought I should comment here instead of commenting on the original blog :)
    I was intending to ask you about joining the Bloggers over Borders Project but this line: "Please don't enter unless you're willing to put in the time, effort and postage to see this through" kinda discouraged me see, I am a dental student and I'm normally busy so I can't guarantee my 100% commitment, I want to participate though, what do you think :)?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nina, thank you. I love how you phrase things.

    Jess, please check your e-mail for my suggestion. I think it's still workable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm now following this blog too :D I thought of making a separate "writing" blog also but i haven't yet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Jill, glad to have you over here! I'd love to see a collection of your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. passion makes me feel alive. it's a paower that is hiding in me under a calm surface, but it comes out when something touches it. someone i love, something i cherish, an idea that fascinates me. i find this power breaking out and colours my life.
    passion gives my life a warm glow, wich none understands but myself. people call me crazy, but i cant afford to loose it.

    ReplyDelete